Southampton have made an approach to Manchester United for goalkeeper Dean Henderson, according to a report.
Henderson has found himself as firmly the number two at Old Trafford thanks to the impressive form of David de Gea in the United goal.
The England international did break into the starting XI last season under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and it was expected that he would be the number one this season.
However, the 24-year-old contracted Covid at the start of the season, giving de Gea the chance to cement his spot in the first team.
The appointment of Ralf Rangnick has done nothing to change Henderson’s role, as reports continue to grow that the keeper would like to leave the club for more football.
Rangnick spoke about Henderson’s situation on Friday in his pre-match press conference ahead of their trip to Aston Villa.
“I told him [Henderson] I would like him to stay, he is a fantastic goalkeeper. I would like to have him on board,” said the German manager.
“I understand he wants to play but we are in three competitions. I can also understand his desire to get regular game time as a number one.”
Premier League side’s Newcastle and Tottenham have been linked with Henderson in the past, as have Dutch giants Ajax but it would now appear that a new club has emerged in the battle for his signature.
According to Football Insider, Southampton have made an enquiry to United for Henderson.
The report also states that Henderson has ‘made it clear to the United hierarchy he wants a January move after failing to supplant David de Gea as the number one.’
Southampton currently have Fraser Forster, Alex McCarthy and Willy Caballero in their goalkeeping ranks, with all three making Premier League appearances this season.
However, it would appear that manager Ralph Hasenhuttl hasn’t been convinced by the trio and would like to add the United goalkeeper the his squad.
The Saints were subject to a takeover earlier this month and could be looking at Henderson as the first singing of their new era.