Blackjack is one of the most popular casino games since it offers very good odds, even for players without much experience. However, if you are looking to become a better online blackjack player and improve your game, here we will give you some advice.
Knowing the rules for your benefit
Learning basic rules to play blackjack is pretty easy. However, you should know each table may have different rules; there are rules that have a positive effect and others have a negative effect on the house edge. Therefore, to increase your chances of winning, you must know which rules play in your favor, so you can gamble at the right table. You should avoid the tables with rules that increase the house edge.
Here we will detail some blackjack rules, and if they affect your game positively or negatively.
* Pay Outs: Good blackjack tables pay 3 to 2, those are the ones you should play at. Many casinos are offering tables that pay 6 to 5, 7 to 5, or even 1 to 1. It is important to understand that these payouts increase the house edge hugely, that means it will cost you a lot of money. You must keep in mind that any table that pays less than 3 to 2, is not a good table for you to play at.
* Double down: This means you can place another bet (equal to the original one) and get dealt one more card. This rule works in your favor if the table allows you to double down on any two cards and after splitting. However, most tables only allow players to double down on certain totals and some don’t allow double after splitting.
* Surrender: This rule is optional, and not every online casino offers it. That is because they give the player a nice advantage over the casino, if they are smart enough to use it properly.
This rule allows you to fold your hand (in the case it is really bad) and receive half of your original bet back. Tables including this rule are really helpful to your game.
* Splitting: Most blackjack tables rules allow you to split any pair you receive. However, not all of them allow you to split again for receiving another pair after splitting the first time. That rule varies from table to table. Keep in mind that the higher the number of times you can split the better for you.
* Number of decks: You can play from single deck blackjack to even eight deck blackjack, depending on the table and casino rules. Choosing a table with few decks is a benefit for the player, as it makes it simpler to keep track of the cards that were dealt. The fewer the decks, the better for the player.
* Soft 17: In some blackjack tables the dealer must stand when he or she gets a soft 17, while other tables rules make the dealer hit when he or she gets a soft 17. Even though odds say the dealer will probably bust when hitting a soft 17; if he/she doesn´t, will probably win the hand. Therefore, you have a slight advantage in your favor when playing at a table where the dealer must stand when getting a soft 17.
Learning a basic strategy
If you want to learn how to play online blackjack like an advanced player you need to learn at least a basic strategy.
The basic strategy is based on mathematical principles. It has been developed by a computer program that calculates all the possibilities and determines the better move.
The easiest way to use a basic strategy is to use a chart, which you can find on the internet.
This chart will show you how to play (hit, stand or fold) when certain cards are dealt. You just need to find the face up card of the dealer on the chart, then find your hand on the left side of the chart (no matter how many cards you´ve been drawn). Once you have found your hand you have to go across the chart to the right until you reach the column with the dealer’s card. That cell of the chart will tell you the best move to play your hand.
It is essential to play by a basic strategy when playing blackjack or poker at an online casino, to improve your game.